Johnson Hall provides arts programs year-round. The hall was built in 1864 in downtown Gardiner. For 60 years it presented vaudeville; concerts; plays; minstrel shows; burlesque ("suitable for ladies"); animal acts; and even roller skating. In 1929 Johnson Hall was renovated into a movie theater; in 1959 it closed. Seats were torn out, and the building deteriorated. The first-floor retail shops closed. A group of people created a nonprofit arts group in 1987 to present programs and raise money for restoration. They renovated the first floor into a flat-floor performance space with 120 moveable seats, a small lobby, and restrooms. The Hall is now a performance center, community hall, historic treasure, and economic catalyst.
Johnson Hall Performing Arts Center
A performance center, community hall, historic treasure, and economic catalyst.