In 2013 the Colby Museum of Art a fine art museum located at the Waterville campus of Colby College exploded onto the New England Art Scene by opening an 10,000 square ft. expansion of its galleries, putting on display the largest collection of American art in the state of Maine. In fact, Colby, a museum that is Free an open to the public became the largest museum in the state of Maine. In 2014 it followed up its opening with a sophomore exhibition of more than 120 sculptures and reliefs, oil paintings on panel and canvas, and works on paper by the reclusive Maine artist Bernard Langlais – the Langlais Estate was bequest to Colby Museum in 2010.
The permanent holdings of the museum three centuries of art, including the Lunder Collection at its core and include selections from the Alex Katz Foundation. The collection primarily reflects the museum’s thrust towards representing American art from the 1800’s through the present. Highlights of the permanent collection include: David Smith's steel sculpture Voltri Bolton II (1962), Maya Lin's monumental marble sculpture Disappearing Bodies of Water (2013), a meter box by Donald Judd (1977), and Robert Mangold's 18 acrylic and pencil drawings (1991) given by the Alex Katz Foundation. Cherished cornerstones of the collection, such as Albert Bierstadt's View of Chimney Rock (1860) and Winslow Homer's The Trapper (1870) will be featured, as well as recently acquired works by Jacob Lawrence, Helen Torr, Frederic Edwin Church, William Matthew Prior, and Joshua Johnson.